3-Trails Corridor

Minor Park

Dramatic swales have been preserved in 235-acre Minor Park, just west of the Big Blue River crossing where a covered bridge painted red was built by 1859 about 300 yards north of the two existing Red Bridges, and where an original wagon ford was located. River crossings before bridges—especially after spring rains swelled embankments— were often quite dangerous to 19th century travelers, many who could not swim. One reason the Oregon and California trails in the Kansas City metropolitan region led southwest before turning and heading northwest is logistical geography…the need to circumvent wide, deep, or swift water routes.
Thanks to: David W. Jackson

Minor Park

click address to open in map

Amenities

Geocache

Cache Coordinates

POINT (-94.575767 38.923)

Cache Description

This cache may be near archeological resources, thank you for staying on established trails and not digging or removing objects. P.S. Watch out for snakes! Cache is hidden under rocks near a creek.

Hint:
Cache is XX number of feet downstream of the foot bridge between the creek and foot path to the north. XX is the estimated number of emigrants who traveled the Oregon Trail divided by 10,000.
Cache Difficulty:
4

Related Content

History

This location is on the National Register of Historic Places and is also a current Santa Fe Trails Association Geocache location. The trail crossed the Big Blue River then ran southwest to the village of New Santa Fe along Missouri’s border. Calvin Graham, May 1, 1853, wrote, "Left camp went 7 miles to the Big Blue River crossed went one mile and encamped. . . . . plenty of wood & water. . . . . here is blacksmith shop. . . . . the Blue is pretty high but ford able." Preserved as hiking/walking/biking crossing is a 1933-era red bridge constructed when Harry S Truman was a county ‘commissioner’ and helped Jackson County triumph through the Great Depression; it was one of many bridges and endless roads that were constructed and improved as a major public works program. Towering adjacent to it is a newer, larger bridge—spanning both the river and railroad tracks—that has interpretive signage along its expanse.
Thanks to: David W. Jackson