3-Trails Corridor

Wayne City Landing

Riverboat travelers emigrating to Oregon and California territories in the 1840s and 1850s ascended this bluff to outfit on Independence Square. The overlook is a vantage point that was used by the Osage nations of Native Americans for eons. This overlook of the Missouri River Valley at the Wayne City Landing site appears much like it has for millennia.
Thanks to: David W. Jackson

Wayne City Landing

click address to open in map

Amenities

Geocache

Cache Coordinates

POINT (-94.424717 39.135283)

Cache Description

This cache is part of the larger Santa Fe Trail GeoTour. It is a black plastic container with an identifying Santa Fe Trail Association yellow sticker on the side of the box and under the handle. A dark green geocaching.com ID is on the side of the box with the information that provides coordinates, who set the cache and who to contact for information. This cache contains a logbook to sign, a variety of items that provide information about the Santa Fe Trail as well as swag items. If you are participating in the Santa Fe Trail GeoTour Passport activity, the code word is located on the inside of the box, on the top of the lid and is clearly identified as Code Word. Please respect all property at cache sites.

Hint:
Check out the wrought iron fence.
Cache Difficulty:
2

Related Content

History

Wayne City, on the National Register of Historic Places, is a current Santa Fe Trails Association Geocache location. The view remains spectacular, and historical, interpretive signage--open to the public--welcomes visitors. When looking over the river valley, imagine the Lewis and Clark expedition in 1804 slowly, steadily making their way up river. Move forward in time to the early 1830s when wheel-paddle steamboats began plying the river, docking here, and progressing ‘civilization’ westward. In July 1843, and November 1844, local landowners said that, “Wayne City is the nearest and best point to land the goods for Independence and the Santa Fee Trail [sic.] and to ship the produced raised in a considerable portion of the County.” They added that, “the exportation of produce from this County is increasing rapidly and demands all the facilities which can be furnished that the present road is wholly unfit for the purpose…. The road was “extremely bad, at some seasons of the year almost impassable and runs over such land as makes it impossible to be made a good road without great expense.” Independence Square directly south was situated three miles away because of its plentiful fresh water springs . . . one thing you could not procure at the ‘Muddy Mo.” Merchants around the Square would outfit travelers heading west. As time went on, Independence lost that lead to ports upriver. Still, just as St. Louis claims to be the ‘gateway to the west,’ travelers need to consider what time period that moniker refers. For St. Louis, it was in the 1700s. For Independence, it was the 1820s-1830s.
Thanks to: David W. Jackson

More Information

The Wayne City River Landing is on the south bank of the Missouri River, between an area known as “Cement City” and Sugar Creek, Mo., 3.25 miles north of Independence. The inaccessible landing is owned by Lafarge Cement Corporation (formerly, Missouri Portland Cement Co.). There is an overlook to the Missouri River above the landing, on N River Blvd, north of E. Kentucky Rd and just south of the Wayne City Road intersection. It is open to the public with historical interpretive signage. Park on left side of Wayne City Road at interpretive panels and overlook.
Thanks to: David W. Jackson